Today, Rue Allyn is visiting and she’s telling us about a Deal of a Lifetime!
Deal of a Lifetime Checklist
Steven Roberts of Negotiation Experts makes the case that solid preparation is essential for any successful negotiation and recommends using these steps among others. I thought it might be interesting to see how Tamsin and Connor used these techniques throughout Deal of a Lifetime.
- Assess the Situation—Tam and Con are plunged abruptly into confrontation and each takes the first opportunity to assess the various risks and obstacles to achieving their goals. For exampleTam wants to keep her personal secrets and fears losing her heart to Con for a second time. She’s negotiator enough to acknowledge that Con is a fearsome and determined competitor, but she’s confident that in the years apart she’s learned a few things that may surprise Con.
- What Kind of Negotiation—Short term, long term, recurring, one time only? Con and Tam have very different ideas about the type of negotiation they engage in. Con wants a long term recurring negotiation commonly known as marriage. Tam wants a short term one time only confrontation. Most of the book is about Con’s attempts (some successful, some not) to persuade Tam to his point of view.
- What Type of Conflict Is Being Negotiated—Part of the problem for Tam and Con when they are thrust unprepared into confrontation is that each has a very different idea of their basic conflict. Con believes Tam deserted him for shallow, unfathomable reasons. Tam thinks Con is too like her inattentive father and fears that loving Con will place her in the same situation as her mother who committed suicide out of loneliness. Before the pair can begin to negotiate solutions and means to achieve their goals they must agree on the central problem. Finding that common ground takes most of the book.
- What Does This Negotiation Mean for the Concerned Parties—For Con this negotiation is a simple matter of persuading Tam to his point of view. Tam is protecting herself and her daughter, so the negotiation is a vital and life-changing event.
- The Ripple Effect or What Might Be the Consequences of the Negotiation—Given her fears, the consequences of a continued recurring negotiation are far reaching and life changing. Initially she would prefer to limit contact with Con to a one time event. But ethics and emotion as well as Con’s very forceful personality weigh into her decision to reconsider the type of negotiation and thus change the consequences for all.
- Is a legal agreement needed?—Con wants marriage, an obvious form of legal agreement. Initially Tam resists any type of agreement that would extend contact with Con. However for her daughter’s sake Tam quickly changes her mind. Although she is not certain that marriage is the specific contract that is needed.
- Do Other Parties Need to Formally Approve the Agreement?—Once Tam and Con concur on the necessity of a legal contract then witnesses to that agreement become essential.
- Is the Clock Ticking—While there are no specific deadlines for the negotiation between Tam and Con to end (or change) to continue indefinitely is not only impractical but stressful. The decision to marry or not to marry must be made at some point. How that point is determined becomes a critical factor in helping Tam to make her decision and forever changes the negotiation because Tamsin and Connor finally make the Deal of a Lifetime.
Please leave me a comment and tell me about negotiations in your life.
Everyone who comments will have their name entered in a drawing for a free download of Deal of a Lifetime. The winner will be notified via e-mail and announced within the week (sorry I’m traveling and wifi access may be spotty) at my blog http://rueallynauthorblog.com/.
He proposed a merger…she wanted marriage.
Wanting more than bedroom and boardroom negotiations, Tamsin Donal left her lover and business partner Connor O’Neal. She buried painful memories, rebuilt her life, and began a successful career. Seven years later, a chance encounter with Connor reveals those old feelings haven’t changed. But her love wasn’t enough before. She’d needed his. Now she has secrets that can destroy a future with the one man she never stopped loving.
Connor never failed to close a deal…until the only women he ever loved turned down his proposal. Fate has just given him a second chance. Negotiations will be heated and so will the passion. With single-minded determination, he’s going to prove his love and show Tamsin they could have the Deal of a Lifetime.
Deal of a Lifetime will be available world wide on September 4, 2013. Currently you may purchase the book through Amazon’s Kindle Store.
Learn more about Deal of a Lifetime, Rue Allyn and her other books at http://RueAllyn.com. You may contact Rue through the following social media sites.