My guest today is Maureen Fisher. Maureen is a fellow author, as well as the current President of our local RWA Chapter, Ottawa Romance Writers’ Association. I do believe Maureen is the first local author I’ve hosted, so I’m absolutely pleased to share my little place on the web with her, plus, she brings food!
Maureen Fisher writes sassy contemporary romance novels containing a slice of adventure and enough steamy sex to drive those who to dare read them racing for a cold shower. Nothing makes her happier than taking readers into another world, a world full of romance and adventure, humor and excitement.
Recipe for Easy Holiday Entertaining
Many thanks for offering me the chance to be a guest blogger, Anne. It’s great to be here. My post has nothing whatsoever to do with writing. With the holiday season fast approaching, I thought I would share my recipe for easy entertaining.
Once upon a time, I loved hosting an annual holiday bash, be it dinner party or a cast of thousands (okay, 50 or so) gala event. I decorated the house à la Better Homes & Gardens, shopped for exotic ingredients in small ethnic stores, and spent days preparing goodies for my friends. However, as I <ahem> matured, the harsh reality of the effort required to throw a kick-ass party lost its appeal. I discovered I was too busy to host a Christmas bash. Or too tired. Or working to a deadline. Or too jet-lagged. Or was suffering through my annual virus. You get the drift.
Our new and much more sensible holiday entertaining strategy revolves around hosting several small brunches, each for 6 – 8 guests, and spread out over November and December. So far, this has proven manageable, relaxed, and fun, even for the hosts. Good friends, good conversation, and delicious food. What’s not to like? And all accomplished with a minimum of fuss and muss.
I offer a recipe for an easy and delicious brunch main dish. Add your own appetizer, salad, and dessert, and you have the secret to successful, no-fuss entertaining.
Wife Saver’ Brunch Casserole
Serves 8 – 10
Combine all ingredients (except topping) a night in advance of cooking.
- 12 slices sandwich bread, lightly buttered and cubed
- 1 lb. pork or Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ½ cups Swiss or sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 onion, diced and fried
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, fried
- ¾ cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups whole milk (do not use skim or 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cornflakes, crushed
1/4 cup melted butter
1. Cube bread. Grease large, deep baking dish (disposable roasting pan works well). Put 1/2 of the bread cubes in the baking dish, spreading evenly.
2. Add sausage, onion, mushrooms, roasted red pepper, cheeses, spreading evenly atop the bread cubes. Top with remaining bread cubes.
3. Mix eggs with milk. Add mustard and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
4. Pour egg mixture over the bread cubes in the baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or until ready to bake the next day.
5. When ready to bake, remove baking dish from refrigerator and remove plastic wrap. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Combine corn flakes with melted butter. Sprinkle the cornflake topping on the mixture in the baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 40 minutes.
Maureen Fisher’s Books
Fur Ball Fever is a romantic crime mystery spiked with attitude (most of it warped), tons of humor, and enough steamy sex to drive those who dare read it racing for a cold shower.
★★★★★ “I laughed out loud and so will you!”
★★★★★ “One for the Money Meets Best in Show.”
★★★★★ “Fun romance with laugh out loud humor!”
The Jaguar Legacy is a paranormal romantic adventure written in the style of Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom. Only hotter. Much hotter.
★★★★★ “THE JAGUAR LEGACY is packed with romantic comedy, intrigue, danger, mystery, betrayal, with a good dollop of the supernatural to glue it together.”
★★★★★ “Hilarious banter, scorching sexual tension, gripping suspense, mysticism — THE JAGUAR LEGACY has it all! Page-turning paranormal romance as hot and steamy as the jungle setting.”
★★★★★“Outstanding and Powerful! THE JAGUAR LEGACY had me hooked from the first word to the last. Fisher has woven ancient mysteries, past lives, and pure evil, into a story that left me begging for more.”
Readers can find Maureen Fisher online at
Her books are available as kindle ebooks through her website or on Amazon:
Fur Ball Fever
The Jaguar Legacy
Universal Amazon URL (all countries): http://amzn.to/13PIvaQ
Thanks for stopping in today, Maureen. This looks delicious and is just what I’m looking for, a new dish to try out on my family over the holidays!